Sunday, March 8, 2015

5 weeks (recalculated), spotting and a new beta

So it turns out my numbers were a little off.  My weekly anniversary falls on a Saturday, not a Friday.  Yesterday marked 5 weeks.  This means that our little blastocyst is the result of a Valentine's Day date, and if all goes well, has an EDD the same as its mother and grandmother, November 7th.

...but anyway.  That's a long way off.  After taking Bug for a haircut and drop-in session on Friday, we came back so that I could attempt to make that low-carb pizza recipe I posted here a few days ago.  Bleh, but that's another matter.  I went to the bathroom, and lo-and-behold, there was a gush of blood.  Seriously?  I was also getting light cramps, not unlike what I've felt previously.  I asked my husband to come home and called the doctor's office.

I had bleeding with Bug's pregnancy that landed me on modified bed rest at 28 weeks.  It wasn't as early on, however.  I was lucky to avoid 1st trimester bleeds in their entirety with him.

The sign of a good RE is when they're immediately available for emergencies, I've come to realize.  My RE's office immediately patched me through to my nurse, Alyson.  She said that it could be normal or the sign of an early miscarriage.  Because it's still early on, unfortunately the best way to determine what's going on would be an additional HCG draw.  Could I come in today?  I packed up my wild banshee, who was refusing to wear more than a diaper by this point, and we were at the clinic within 30 minutes.  Blood drawn, in & out, and Alyson called w/ the results an hour later.

My beta was now 8500, a 5-fold increase from Monday, and more than in line with what they were hoping to see.  My HCG is doubling at 45 hours, under the 48-72 they generally see.  Interestingly enough, the beta is not increasing as fast as it did with Bug but is still running at a higher number (and the doubling does slow down at about my levels).

So the good news is that, as of Friday, I hadn't had a miscarriage.  The more unclear news is that we don't know if the bleeding was/is the start of one.  I go back in tomorrow for my weekly HCG reading, which will give us a better sense of what's going on.

I put myself on modified bed rest for the rest of the day.  Interestingly enough, the gush pretty much stopped with that one instance.  I had fading spotting (and fading cramps) the rest of the day.  On Saturday, I literally had a drop or two of red spotting (and cramping) before some light peach spotting  and disappearing cramps through the rest of the day.  Interestingly enough, it occurred at almost the same time both days.

I'm trying to keep my mind busy and distracted as much as possible.  We had a friend's birthday party yesterday, and along the way, the car picked up a completely flat tire while getting off the highway.  We were able to make it to a car dealer, who switched us to the spare, and spent the rest of the day post-birthday-party at Costco awaiting a tire fix on our road hazard warranty.

Unfortunately, I fell in love with jalapeño poppers while we were there.  Darn Costco free samples.  We came home with a big box that happily became my dinner.  They tasted great, but my digestive track has apparently had other thoughts.  I woke up in the middle of the night w/ morning sickness and can still feel the poppers moving through my system.  And we naturally have 1.3 kilos left of them.

Happy Sunday, I hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment